Fontainhas Goa is an Old Latin Quarters standing in Panjim (or Panaji), the capital city of Goa. Settle on the bank ancient Ourem Creek, and on the foot of popular Altinho hill. Derives its name (meaning “fountain”) from Fonte Phoenix (the Fountain of Phoenix) spring at the foot of Altinho.
The Old Latin Quarters now belong to the last surviving Portuguese families of Goa. The narrow winding streets and lanes, quaint shops, art galleries, bakeries, and restaurants are the door to the history of Fountainhas Goa. Strolling around Streets of Fountainhas Goa takes you to colorful past Portuguese regime.
Goa was under the regime of Hindus, Muslim, and Portuguese, but Portuguese have left bigger influences in the Goa. The Portuguese influences are clearly noticeable from the architectural styles of residential quarters of Fontainhas Goa.
The Portuguese population grew on the bank of river Mandovi, at Old Goa from 15th to 17th Century, some 10 Kilometers, east of present days Panjim. In the early years of the 18th Century, a plague hit the Old Goa. And the population from the Old Goa and came to Fontainhas Goa. Along with population, Portuguese Offices also came to Fontainhas Goa and slowly resident quartes Portuguese Officials were built in and around and Panjim which is now present-day Fontainhas Goa. And still today Government Offices operates from Fontainhas Goa. Very few tourists come for heritage walk across the lanes of Fontainhas Goa.
Names of street
The names of streets in Fontainhas raises curiosity and are very much interesting. Rua 31 de Janeira (31st January Road) relates to the date of Portugal’s independence from Spain on January 31, 1640. The busy 18th June Road, lined with shops and restaurants, relates to the date in 1946 when Ram Manohar Lohia (an activist of Indian independence) called a meeting that led to the end Portuguese rule in India.